March 2, 2011

Spread the word!

I have really wanted to get something off my chest.  It's all about that dreaded word...yep the "R" word!  Now before I get on my soapbox, I am going to go ahead and confess something.  I have misused that word many times in my lifetime, so I am by no means going to sit here and act like I am high and mighty.  Before Carter was born I would use it without even thinking about it.  It has never hit home like it does now.  I hear people say it everyday, and it makes me cringe every time I hear it.  I know people do it out of habit, and people do not mean to say it to hurt people, but you never know who your hurting when your saying that  "R" word.  As a mother I never want my child to be called this word.  I have taken a pledge to help people to be more aware of what they say.  So today is 3/2/11 and it's the day to Spread the word to end the word!!!!
No one can say this better than my friend Erin http://skiingthroughlife.wordpress.com/ please read what she has to say on this issue...her words put mine to shame.  But, I can say let's try this let's stop the misuse of the word.  Take the pledge!  http://www.r-word.org/Default.aspx


How "retardation" went from a clinical description to a word of derision


When they were originally introduced, the terms “mental retardation” or “mentally retarded” were medical terms with a specifically clinical connotation; however, the pejorative forms, “retard” and “retarded” have been used widely in today’s society to degrade and insult people with intellectual disabilities. Additionally, when “retard” and “retarded” are used as synonyms for “dumb” or “stupid” by people without disabilities, it only reinforces painful stereotypes of people with intellectual disabilities being less valued members of humanity. -r-word.org

1 comment:

  1. The "R" word has made me cringe for years. I too misused it many times when I was younger but after realizing how ugly it is and how much it can hurt I haven't in years. Surprisingly I've taken education classes where they still use the term! Even the teacher apologized for having to teach it. Although in a Disabilities in Film class that I'm currently taking we've been taught a much better umbrella term that doesn't sting so bad...ID or intellectual disorder. My teacher is a Speech Pathologist working specifically with children who have Down Syndrome, Autism and many other ID's. It's a newer term that's being used specifically to not offend anyone. So glad you posted this!

    ReplyDelete