June 9, 2010

Carter is almost 2 months old



I never thought my life would change so much in the past 2 months as much as it has. Everyone says when you have a baby its a life changing experience I knew it would be but I didn't know how much. Let me start from the beginning (this being my first blog and all.) I found out I was pregnant at the end of August last year it was a surprise, but a very exciting one! It was scary at the beginning I had alot of bleeding and we (Jeff my husband and I) were afraid that I would miscarry. I had so many ultrasounds and each time we would go to the appointments we would expect the absolute worse, but each time we would hear that perfect fast heartbeat! Music to any expectant parents ears! Finally we came to realize that everything was going to be ok. Around week 13 my doctor asked if we wanted to do any of the genetic testing to check for Down Syndrome. We opted out because a) what are the chances (keep in mind I'm 26 you always here of women over 35 having babies with Down Syndrome) and b) I wouldn't do anything different if it came back positive. No matter what that was a life, a precious life and whatever was meant to be would happen. In November we found out the sex of the baby. Jeff and I just knew it was a girl, but to our surprise the Sonographer said "IT'S A BOY!" We both cried happy tears and grinned ear to ear! We were so excited...That very same day we picked out his name Carter Eli Montgomery. Of course I immediately started buying little boy clothes and picking out everything for his nursery.




February I had an amazing baby shower so many friends and family members showered me with so many great gifts for our little Carter. By March I was so over being pregnant...I was miserable I had the worse heartburn, I couldn't sleep, I was anxious and ready to meet my little boy. My due date was April 26th and around April 1st I was willing to try anything to get Carter here. So Thursday evening April 15th we went over to my in-laws to have dinner my Mother in-law Shelby decided to make Mexican (because of the old wives tale eating spicy foods will induce labor) I literally ate a gallon of crushed red pepper that night. Jeff and I got home around 10pm I got ready for bed and at 10:45 I started having contractions. Being my first pregnancy I wasn't sure if they were contractions or not but I was in awful pain. I went into the living room and called Shelby and told her exactly how I was feeling and sure enough she confirmed what I had thought CONTRACTIONS. They were about 20 minutes apart so technically I shouldn't be going to the hospital at this time. I was in so much pain getting sick with every other contraction. I could no longer take it about 3:45am I woke Jeff up and said "lets go!" We got to the hospital and I stayed in triage for about 4 hours I wouldn't dilate so they sent me home. As the morning progressed so did my pain I called the doctor and he told me to come in and he would check me...I got there and had dilated to 4cm he told me that I could be admitted and I could have that oh so wonderful invention the epidural!!! I was admitted into the hospital about 12:30pm on Friday April 16th got my epidural an hour later and I was in heaven! The nurse checked me around 4:30pm and I still had not dilated so she put me on my right side. An hour later I felt alot of pressure and sure enough I was 9 almost 10cm. I started pushing around 6:15 and 45 minutes later he was here!!! At 7:07pm weighing in at 7lbs.3oz. was my precious little boy Carter. As soon as he was delivered I could tell something was a little different (not bad different just different) and my doctor said I'm going to get his pediatrician to order a karyotype on Carter. Those of you who do not know what a karyotype is its a special blood test to check the chromosomes for Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome.) I looked at Jeff very calmly and said "he has Down Syndrome." You know it's funny I have read so many confessions about people whose baby was born with Down Syndrome about how devastated they were. Jeff and I wasn't upset at all in anyway! We were both just so happy that we had this beautiful, healthy tiny little miracle in our arms. That was our baby we created him and that's all that we cared about. We told our family and friends the news and everyone was so amazing...they all said the same thing "you must be blessed, God only gives those children to special parents." We both truly believe that.




Carter had to spend a few nights in the NICU because he stopped breathing for a few seconds the next day. All the nurses fell in love with him. It was so hard going home without him, but when we got to bring him home 3 days later we were so happy! My mother in-law Barbara stayed with us for 2 weeks to help in any way she could. It was so wonderful to have her here. Jeff and I had so many family and friends come by to see Carter. I have never felt so much love!




Remember I said that the epidural was the best invention ever? Well that was until I knew that Carter would need Early Intervention (The Infant/Toddler Program.) It helps babies that have disabilities or that were born premature catch up to all the other babies out there. They send Physical Therapists, Occupational Therapists, Speech Therapists, ect out to your home and work with your child in their natural environment. They truly are a godsend!




Now let me tell you a little bit about Carter...he is absolutely the most cutest thing I have ever seen!! He has his daddy's nose and feet, my mouth, our blue eyes, and every ones favorite thing his awesome hair its so thick for a baby and it sticks straight up on his head!! I must say my kid is ADORABLE! He makes the funniest faces, he is so aware and has been from day 1, he sleeps great for us, he eats well, and only cries when he is tired or hungry. He has so many nick-names already my favorites are toot and stinker because he is the gassiest baby I have ever known. He is so smart he started rolling over at 4 weeks old and he knew what he was doing! He can hold his head way up. Last week Lisa a woman with the child development agency came out and she was so impressed with little Carter, she could not believe how well he is doing. She said "not only am I impressed with his progress because he does have DS but just being a 1 1/2 month old baby he is amazing!"




Carter will be 2 months old on the 16th of this Month and I can't believe how much time flies. He has been such a blessing to all that know him, and has truly changed us for the best. I will be blogging about his progress and just all about him in general. Thanks for reading!




Kristin Montgomery






12 comments:

  1. Oh, I am sooooo excited about this, Kristin!!! As I read this precious story of our sweet little miracle we call Carter, I just cried tears of joy again, and again, and again!!! I can't wait to continue to see all of his progress and giant leaps he continues to make!!! We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all of you!! And, yes, every good and perfect is from above--and we thank God each and every day for the gift of Carter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a perfect...I am such a blessed Auntie & Sister. Every second I spend with him I'm impressed. I've always looked up to you sis...but you have taken that to a whole new level. I am in awe watching you grow as a MOTHER, you take on everything with strength and ease. You and Jeff are amazing, and my perfect,handsome,strong,smart,WONDERFUL NEPHEW is the light of my life. What a lucky family we are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So thanks for the tears of the day! I'm so excited about this blog, I couldn't think of a more perfect idea. I'm so happy you will be filling us in on the Life of Carter Eli! I am excited to add this to my summer reading. Love you all! I can't wait to see that little guy again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was fantastic...thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy you are writing this! I can follow and keep updates on Carter and the family! I miss you guys and am thinking about you all the time. I'm trying to get down there as fast as possible to see his cute face! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kristin,
    I love this. You came into ours lives when our family needed you. We were loosing family members and friends left and right and you came along brighten up our days when they had been so sad. We couldn't wait for your parents to show up with you. YOu have added so much joy to alot of us. And now we have your precious baby boy to add even more joy to all of us. As you know I look forward to seeing pictures of you guys and now looking forward to reading about you all. You are amazing mother and you always had a strength about you. You have me in tears. It is real hard to type this.my nose is running. Thank you for sharing Carter with all of us. You all are loved more than you know. All my love Meme

    ReplyDelete
  7. You hit the nail on the head, the love you have for your child is unlike any love you have ever begun to experience. I too experienced leaving the hospital without my baby as Jaycie had to stay in the NICU for 14 days, so I share that experience with you girl! Carter is absolutley adorable!! And I love his hair! :) I see you in him a lot! Can't wait to hear more about him! Congrats again! Love Ashley (Thompson) Flournoy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing this with everyone Kristin. While reading this, I realized how strong and amazing you and Jeff are. I am in awe of the love you have for your beautiful baby and I hope Ali and I are one day blessed with the same love of our own child. You are an inspiration and I am so glad to feel like a part of your new life by reading this even though we cant be there.

    Carter is truly a gift from God. I can't wait to know him through your words and hopefully meet him very soon!

    We miss you guys and send all of our love your way!

    Austen

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great story Kristen and it's just the beginning. With the love and strength you give your little boy, there will be no mountain he can't climb! Much love, Kim Allen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, we have been blessed with an angel. God could not have picked a better home for him. I'm looking forward to reading about his development. I need more pictures. Whitney tells me he is really getting big. We are going to have to figure a way of getting scype going on our computers. Give Carter ahug for me every day since I can't be there. LOVE ALL OF YOU

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have done a great job with this story, Kristin, and I can't wait for more to come! We hope to see you all sometime in July. Love to everyone, BB & Gran Stan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Kris, this is so wonderful! I can't wait to follow you and Carter on here :-) So excited to have y'all over for a pool day tomorrow!! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete