June 15, 2011

Beautiful words

I found this poem and I thought it was perfect!  Exactly the way I felt when I held Carter for the first time.  Not knowing he had down syndrome until he was born, I didn't care about the diagnosis, all I cared about was that precious little boy who was my special gift.  I will always remember that wonderful moment he was born.  I was in love the minute I laid eyes on him.


When you were but a tiny speck 
deep within my womb
something happened to your cells
as life began to bloom
a chromosomal anomaly
is what the doctors say
but you are EXACTLY what I asked for
each night as I would pray

"Dear Lord, send me a happy child
who will not grow up too fast,"
for I love the joys of childhood 
and I wanted that to last.
'Send me a child who sleeps all night
and doesn't often cry,
a little boy with endless love
and a willingness to try."

That little extra chromosome
that number 21
gave me all I ever wanted
YOU - my precious son.


No comments:

Post a Comment